Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Days 8 and 9

It's terribly appropriate that these two days are combined as it seems as though, after the week we've had, that the last two days have run together. As of Wednesday life became much more complicated for us. There will be a time to write about that too, but because of who is involved and the emotions at play I will continue to respect everyone's privacy. Again, the kids are doing well and we have so much to be proud of them for. Phillip and I continue to look to each other for the love, support, strength and laughter we need.

Day Eight! My favorite place I've travelled to?
I have been to a lot of places in the US, Canada and Mexico. Growing up my mom was involved with The American Optometric Association and each year in June they meet somewhere different in the U.S. So most of my traveling was done as a kid, which has been a disappointment for me. I always thought growing up I would keep on traveling. I suppose that my favorite place I've ever been is Hawaii. I went there first when I was about 7 or 8 years old, but other than being toted around with my grandma and great aunt I don't remember a whole lot. There was a luau and it was hot and humid at the time. I also remember how beautiful it was. How I'd never seen any place like it. The soft sandy beach, and the thick deep green plants, trees and bushes. I remember one day it rained, and I had never smelled a rain so sweet.
Clearly impressed with the craftsmanship of my headpiece and lovin' the large frames!

The second time I was there, I was about 14 years old. Hawaii, it seemed, had not changed. The smell in the air was familiar, the beautiful flowers that seemed to be everywhere. The beaches were even more amazing the second time, with the added bonus of being old enough to appreciate lying in the sun and learning to body surf. That trip was all about the beaches, a different one everyday. The beauty, the environment, everything I could take in, was enough to distract me from the constant tension and bickering from the adults accompanying me. That says a lot!

Places I can't wait to go:
Hawaii, of course! We'd love to go for our honeymoon and appreciate the beauty as adults.
Germany. Phillip was born in Frankfurt while his dad served in the U.S. Army, and we'd love to go explore his place together.
Italy. I've always felt drawn to Italy, the culture and the beauty.
New York. I went there with a group of kids (teachers and parents) from school between 7th and 8th grade. It was such a lively city. I remember visiting the twin towers and taking the ride in the elevator to the top. Now I'd like to go back and visit the same place and get a true feel for what happened.
Disneyland. I have wanted to take the kids for years, this one will happen soon. It's a must as a kid and mine are almost to old!

Day Nine!
My favorite picture of my best friend.
Anyone else see the genuine happiness? This is our engagement picture. The reason we chose this one was because it stood out. It wasn't even a hard decision. We were given hundreds of beautiful shots to choose from. I love so many of them. This was the one because we saw so immediately a reflection of how we were truly feeling. We've both lost weight since this photo, and I could nit-pick it into a thousand pieces but what stands out, every time is the feeling I get when I see it. The perfect moment of how excited, happy and in love we both are...ahem, were right then. There just isn't anything false there. What you see is what you get, which is pretty much how it works around here.

1 comment: