Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Movies and such...

The last 24 hours have been ridiculously crazy and hard. I suppose that can be a problem when you have people who read about your life everyday. I am most definitely not complaining, in fact I have been so thankful for the outlet writing has become, as well as all of the overwhelming support I have felt. It could not have come at a better time.
Our family is going through a very difficult and sensitive situation. The emotions are raw and constantly on the surface. At this time I am going to refrain from going into depth because I would like to respect everyone involved.
Don't you worry, the kids are well and doing such amazing things these days. Phillip and I are stronger than ever and using this trial to grow together and gather strength from one another.

So, onto movies. I'm not really a movie buff, I rarely remember the lines of a film, let alone catch on when someone quotes a movie. For whatever reason my brain doesn't work like that. Phillip on the other hand, he's definitely into movies, loves them, buys them like candy and can't get enough. There aren't very many movies that I like to watch more than once but here is a list of them and why they mean something to me:

5. A League of Their Own. I used to watch this movie all the time. It came out at a really great time for me. I had played softball for a couple years, back in the day that was my sport. I somehow wound up on the varsity team in 7th grade which was right around the time it came out. It's one that reminds me of my sister, we'd argue over who was Dottie (Geena Davis) and who was Kit (Lori Petty).

4. Sleepless in Seattle. This is the first love story I fell in love with, and another Tom Hanks hit. I've probably watched this movie more than any other movie in my life. It came out while I was in my early teens and was completely appropriate for what was going on in my life. I still love this movie!

3. Big Business. Another sister movie. We watched this hundreds of times, in fact now that I think about it maybe we watched this one more than Sleepless. There was never any fighting over who was which sister in this one. I was always Sadie (Bette Midler) and Melissa was always Rose (Lilly Tomlin). 

2. Date Night. Look at that, I do watch current movies! This movie is the most recent I will watch more than once. Phillip and I turn it on for a good laugh.

1. The Notebook. The sentimental favorite. I bought this movie at a Black Friday sale one year because it was $4.00 and I was slightly delirious from lack of sleep and crazy mobs. I had it for over two years and hadn't even opened it. Then, during one of our first phone conversations Phillip mentioned that The Notebook reminded him of us. Collective "Awwww". So as soon as we got off the phone, of course I had to find it and watch it. And of course I fell even more in love with him. We've watched it several times together. I love it when we get to a part and he says "See that? Just like us...".

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts, so lovely! I am all about movies like Phillip. I would have to say that is my addiction is collecting movies. Sometimes I just buy them without seeing them in hopes they will be good. We are going on to about 300 DVD's and it won't stop growing!

    My favorite movies that I have seen about 1 million times or more is Pride and Prejudice, Anchorman, Elf, Love Actually, and now Burlesque. I love movies, feels like a little escape for me every time I pop one in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my current family, Dan and kids, I have always felt inferior because they remember movie lines, commercials, songs, etc...MY BRAIN DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT! Also, unlike my family, I rarely watch a movie more than once. :) Nice to know I'm not alone.

    Ah, I'm so forgetful about movies, I will rent the same one again, because I don't remember the title or the characters...as it's playing I think, "wait a sec...I've seen this before. DANG!" and turn it off. The first time watching was enough. LOL!
    ~Timani...I just saw that Dan's acct is signed in and I'm afraid if I sign out I'll lose my comment. :)

    ReplyDelete